Thursday, June 12, 2008

Over Half Way


Jay and I are in Amarillo, Texas (this is the view out the hotel window). If I wanted, I could have eaten a 72 oz steak within one hour and it would have been FREE. It was on billboards all over the highway. I thought about it. Instead, we're at a pretty sweet hotel, watching the play-offs and eating a pizza from Pizza Hut (they deliver). I drove 607 miles today. We were on the road for over nine hours. We listened to music, sang a bunch, Jay watched DVD's and we ate. It's amazing we ordered a pizza we ate so much on the road. We had apples, apricots, peaches, raspberries, beef jerky, pop, peanuts, chocolate chip/M&M cookies, coffee, danish, cheese, two sandwiches and carrots. We still have a lot left in our cooler and tomorrow we are not stopping for lunch either. I have about six hours to drive tomorrow to get to Newton. The facts are this....I was worried about the trip. I'm pulling a U-Haul for the first time ever and I had my fears. In the shower this morning I even had a moment when I thought I was going to cry. Jeesh! What can I say....I worry sometimes. I am afraid of hydroplaning. I am occasionally afraid of large objects falling from the sky and hitting my windshield....and I don't mean hail. I think more about pieces of space craft breaking through the atmosphere and careening downward (so there is a modicum of irrational thought going on too). But once we got on the road and it was a reality, I just had to kick back and have fun. And here we are, halfway there and having fun. Just don't anyone mention that tomorrow is Friday the 13th.

No comments: