Saturday, August 9, 2008

Miracles vs. Crap

"To be alive, to be able to see, to walk...it's all a miracle. I have
adopted the technique of living life from miracle to miracle."
Arthur Rubinstein


Well, the quote comes first today. I guess, in a way, I'm feeling a bit of Thanksgiving in August. Rough week in some ways. Got through it (still loving the fragment). I'd like to tell you a story but I can't think of a good one right now. Oh wait...maybe one.

When I was a little girl, I was afraid of the dark. I was very attached to my parents and at about 10:00 or 11:00 pm, if I had woken up, I would pad into their room and they would be sleeping. Some nights, I would just lie down on the floor at the end of their bed and cover up with a blanket. Some nights, I would walk to the side of the bed where my dad slept. I would tap him lightly on the shoulder as he slept, and when he woke, I'd say, "wanna get a drink of water"? and he would get up. We would walk down the hall and into the kitchen and he would open the fridge door. There was always a water jug stashed in the door and I would take it, unscrew the lid, and take a big swig. I'd hand it to him and he'd take a swig and then we'd put the jug away and walk back down the hall. No chatting. He would veer off to their room and I would go back to bed and sleep until morning. The thing is, he never one time said "no" to my request. He always got up with me and walked into the kitchen. The patience and care involved in that simple act has stayed with me.

Now, as an adult, when bad stuff happens, I think those childhood blessings helped make me strong enough to deal with some of the shit in life (of course, the therapy helps too).

If I could thank everyone wonderful in my life, it would take a hundred pages, if I could cuss out everyone who has been horrible to me, I could do it in a paragraph. That was a good realization this week. Life seems to be a series of miracles, interspersed with an occasional hefty dose of crap. I'm very aware of both.

2 comments:

Imez said...

The story of your Dad getting you water was just pitch-perfect.

How come it was always your dad you asked?

Rob said...

I hope you are OK. Your dad was a kind man.