Wednesday, October 7, 2009

BTW


I'm still here!!!!!! But I have some quandaries to ask myself. How can I like my job and yet hate to work? How can I be a writer and yet not write for days at a time? Weeks at a time?!?! How can I love to cook and yet end up throwing a frozen pizza in the oven too many nights a week? Where does the time go, people?! What I would give to have my One Year of Opus back (See July '07 post). Oh well. Damn. I'll figure out these questions (and many more, such as, why would anyone carve a statue out of butter for the Kansas State Fair?) by next week. (Click on the above picture to see the Kansas State Fair Butter Sculpture 2009)

It's fall. My favorite time of year. I took this tree picture a week ago, when I noticed the first turned leaf on the tree. And now it's getting in the low thirties at night. Now all the leaves are red.


My garden is done for the year. Beautiful tomatoes, peppers, squash and zucchini. Corn was buggy, but my dad used to tell me to put mineral oil on the silk just as it was appearing and I didn't do it. My bad. Beets, turnips and carrots still in the ground and I'm going to blanch them this weekend for use in soup this winter. I did have a cool garden anomaly this year...it was this three bulb tomato. Yes, one tomato with three separate fruits. That's what makes having a garden worth it to me.


Now, I'm going to bed. I've had a very long work day, that included a frozen pizza and no writing. It also included my son coming home sick from school and college students who could not differentiate between there, their and they're. I have a long work day tomorrow too, which most likely will not include a frozen pizza but will most likely also not include any writing. I'm going to finish with this cool picture, taken on the front porch of my little house in Newton, Kansas. It's a praying mantis and they're supposed to be good luck. So, I'm sending you all good luck. Actually, I have to confess, I don't know if I can actually send good luck through a blog (although I'm always getting e-mails that claim to be able to do that, if I would only forward them on to 12 people and DO NOT BREAK THIS CHAIN) but if I can, then I'm saying you're going to have am amazing Thursday with wild luck coming out your ears (I think at least one of you WILL buy a lottery ticket and WIN).

By the way, the frozen pizza was just a symbol/metaphor. Barry made vegetarian Hamburger Helper. I guess the gist is simply that I love to cook but can't even find the time to decide on a flipping recipe, since I was at work at 4:30 this morning and didn't get home until 6:00 pm. Holy cow.

No comments: