Friday, June 5, 2009

Slice (of life)

It's been raining quite a bit. Well, not today or yesterday or this last week. But before that. Several days in a row, maybe even a whole week. Pounding lovely thunderous rain. Damn the hail, however. I have a few pepper plants that were quite injured. But the rain was nice. One day Jay and I were going to the store. As we were driving, there was this tiny old (yes, she was old. It's not a derogatory statement. She must have been 75) lady walking along the sidewalk. The rain had come up suddenly and I could tell she had been caught unaware. Hard rain. No umbrella. Head down. She was walking against us. I drove about another 20 feet and pulled over. "I'm gonna go get her" I said to Jay. He looked at me a bit warily. "She's tiny and old and has no umbrella." I must have been trying to justify my actions to my child (weird). I made a u-turn and we pulled up near her, although now we were across the street. I rolled down the window and hollered "Hey, can we give you a ride?" and she said "Do you see anyone coming" pointing up the street as it was curvy and hard to see in the rain. There were no cars and she crossed the street and got in my car. We introduced ourselves. She said "Well, I guess I recognize you" although I couldn't think where from and we took her to her apartment complex. We chatted a bit more. She thought Jay was a girl at first because he had on a stocking cap and I was so happy that he didn't even get annoyed, he just smiled at her like he used to smile at his grandma. She laughed when I said "No, that's my boy there" and she said, "It's hard sometimes to tell when they all wear hats" and Jay just kept grinning. We decided we would give her a ride again if we saw her. I like it when things like that happen.

1 comment: