Thursday, October 11, 2007

Here I am

This is the cover of my book. My book. Silly. My book comes out in a month or so. People, if they desire, can read my poems. In a book. Weird. Okay, I don't want to talk about it. Okay, I'll talk about it. On one hand, I want everyone in the whole world to read my book. And then, I don't want anyone to read it. The "not wanting anyone to read it" is temporary. It's a strange feeling of "now everyone will know who I really am." Aaccckkkk! Oh well, at the same time, I relish that thought. I think, in my early years, :), I was different people with different people. What I've aspired to, in the last ten years, is to be JUST MYSELF with everyone. Authentic living, so to speak. Everybody basically gets the same me. No more being one way with some people and another way with other people. Geez, I hate it when I talk about me. (I have realized, however, that in a blog, that's just what happens...I talk about me occasionally)

Moving on. I went to Vegas last weekend. I LOVE Vegas. Sit me at a Roulette table for 6 hours with fifty bucks and I'm a happy gal. It's a very weird, glitzy, surreal place and I love it. Took my boy, and we met Suzy and her two girls. Three kids, two moms, swimming, nice digs (thank you brother John), and a nanny on Saturday night. We took the kids to see Stomp and made breakfast burritos in the morning to be frugal. Great vacation. And I was happy to get home.

My mom is wonderful. She gets coke floats everyday. She does not have to eat her spinach if she makes a face after one bite. She has these "mom" mannerisms that have resurfaced after the cease in meds. That seroquel has its place but can sure flatten a person out. She still inspires me every day to be alive. She smiles and gives these little laughs. Here's a funny story about her. She came into my bedroom once when I was about eleven. She was not a kidding/jokester type mom. She stood in my doorway and said, "You know those round toothpaste drops that you always leave in the sink? I was reading in Reader's Digest that you can pop them off the porcelain and use them as mints." I just sat there, quite unsure how to react. Really?!, I thought. She just smiled and walked back down the hall, and I thought, "wow, she's kidding. My mom made a joke." I had a totally new and impressive view of my mom after that day.

And finally, on the creativity front; my chair is going well, the drawer is shaping up nicely, I'm writing a poem here and there, and the hats are being knitted. I do have to say, however, that the bottles being painted to bottle the ESB beer that we're brewing came out horrid. (Pictures of all of this will appear shortly). I've only done three so far but they look absolutely stupid. I was looking at them today and thinking -- wow, yuck, bad job. So, I'll just have to start over on THAT project. But I did get a perverse thrill out of knowing that sometimes creativity is just f**ked up.

Funny quote of the day....
"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in
his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
--Author Unknown

6 comments:

karla said...

I'd love to stay and read more, but I'm off to scrape off the toothpaste lumps from my sink and stick them in an empty matchbox to keep in my purse for mints.

Anonymous said...

Love the book cover!
How exciting!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Jill,
A couple things...
1. I still often feel that I have to be different Jills for different people. Especially in the teaching profession, I think, it's considered a bit taboo to be JUST who you are in front of the kids/parents. If I go out and get wasted at a gig on a Saturday night (which does happen) I don't necessarily want the kids to know about it or see me like that. But at the same time, I do yearn for a time when I can keep the same hat on all the time--the Jill hat, if you will. So, I have mixed feelings in reading that, but I understand, and I yearn for that, and I someday hope I can be just me all the time, too. I think it is a brilliant goal. :)

2. I haven't told you this yet, but you've inspired me to make a conscious effort to be more creative in my daily life, too. I haven't gone as far as to post pictures on my blog about all the stuff I've been making and doing, but I have been making and doing a lot. On Wednesday, for example, I painted the most beautiful painting I've ever done in my life. It's a wet-on-wet watercolour of the World Tree with a glowy yellow>orange>red>plum>purple background and lovely, full green/blue leaves. I spent hours on it, and it turned out better than any painting I've ever done. I am so proud of it. And then yesterday, I went on a mix-CD-creation binge and made 6 new mixes, all different genres, and made little pastel drawings for each, to use as the cover art. Today I am working on perfecting my Spanish tortilla patata. Upon realizing that part of the reason for this new drive for ACTIVE creativity is you, I also realized I should tell you about it because you'd want to know.

Thank you, Jill.

Love,
Jill

xoxo

Whispering Willow said...

Congrats on the book and the awesome cover for it. It's all so exciting. And I'm glad you decided to talk about it instead of just leaving it at the picture. I suffer from the "different people with different people" syndrome myself, and it's a constant battle to maintain my own identity. Which also means that I understand the mixture of thrill and apprehension when it comes to people reading your writing...granted I'm sure those feelings are multiplied when it's a book and not just a few poems...but still. I'm so excited for you!

Nature Girl said...

First CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your book. That's awsome! and I LOVE the cover. Both of my boys played chess competitively for years so it brought back a lot of memories.

Second, I so get what you were saying about being a certain way with certain people and being another way with other people. I have done that all my life up until the last 2 years or so. To a certain degree, I still am, but am really striving hard to become "my authentic self" rather than the chameleon I've always been. It's hard work I tell ya!

Great post. I love you're blog, I'll be back as soon as I'm back from my trip and thanks for the kind words you left on my blog.
Stacie