Sunday, January 13, 2008

Two Things That Could Save Your Life


#1 - Poetry. Not really. But it could help you like life more. See life better. Feel like other people go through the same stellar, beautiful, awkward, nasty-ass, mardigras, sublime, tragic experiences too. I think poetry helps people feel less alone. It can, in a very short span, introduce the reader to stories and feelings that are un-nameable yet familiar. Or not. I don't know for sure. But it's worth a try. Here's a picture of a random poetry stand that my friend Kate sent when she was in Oregon. What a swell idea! If you all want to write a Haiku comment, do it! Haiku - a three line poem with the first line being 5 syllables, the second line being 7 syllables, and the third line being 5 again. It's cool if there is a little twist in the last line. Jack Kerouac says this..."it has to be a simple little picture in three little lines, that tells a great big story." Here are a couple I like....

The falling flower
I saw drift back to the branch
was a butterfly
--Arakida Moritake

To write a blues song
is to regiment riots
and pluck gems from graves.
--Etheridge Knight

#2 (Which is appropriately numbered) Colonoscopy.
Getting a colonoscopy can save your life! My brother, Jerry got one at thirty-nine, had a tumor in there, had surgery, chemo, and is alive and cancer free today. Yeah! It's painless, easy, and you should do it. I'm doing mine tomorrow!! So today I'm on clear liquids all day, which is really kind of fun and challenging. I don't think about food that much but today it's ALL I can think about. I want homemade chicken nuggets with honey mustard, and a big slice of berry pie, heated up, with ice cream. I want mashed potatoes and stuffed pork chops. I want chicken, cheese and spinache tamales with rice and beans. I want a thick slice of fresh, hot bread slathered with butter. And, I want hot and sour soup and sesame chicken and beef with broccoli. YUM! Instead, I'm drinking water and ginger-ale and tonight for dinner I'll have a big bowl of chicken consomme. Then, tomorrow for lunch I'll appreciate food so much.

2 comments:

Brook Ann ( the Great ) said...

missing food so much
sick of mexican cuisine
chinese would be nice

that is my sorry attempt at expressing in haiku form what I felt upon reading about your liquid diet day. How did the scope go?

Anonymous said...

Get more traffic to your blog with this great new tool.

BlogReach