Saturday, March 15, 2008

Glimpses


I think I talked to my dad on the phone yesterday.

For a week or so, I had been mulling over a post where I talked about the strange things we miss when people die. About how I've been missing having someone call me "hon". My dad used to call me that. He also called me sis and lovebug. I really miss those names but they're not really my name anymore.

So, anyway, I'd gotten a new laptop; a Macbook, and I really love it. I figured I'd need one for going to Kansas and I also like that it's on the kitchen breakfast bar for Jay. I'm a firm believer in supervised Internet action for kids. But, I had installed all kinds of stuff on it and it was soooo slow. I've had the darn thing for three months and already gunked it up. Augh! So I called Applecare and I got this very nice older man. It was so weird...not only did he speak my language, he even sounded like he was from Kansas! He was very patient and kind and helpful. He walked me through all this "hold down the C and push the power button... now, when the blue screen comes on, ......" computer speak. Finally, my computer was back to "fast" and I said thank you. He responded the usual " here's the case number if it happens again..." and then, as I was about to hang up, he said, "Take care, hon." and hung up. I immediately thought, Oh my gosh, I was just talking to my dad." It was wonderful, and true or not, made me feel so good.
I've been waiting four years for him to call me and he finally did :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Awwwww! You mentioned that just recently to me, too! I love that. I truly believe they can reach out to us from where they are and send us a sign and that's exactly what your Father did. Now if I can just get someone to call me "shitbird"! HA HA!