Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Lost Week (end)

I moved. And it was time to get things cleaned up. I moved into a house I own but had moved out of two years ago. Then I moved back in. The carpet was yucky. The walls were smudged. It needed paint and a different floor and some real work. So, that's where I've been. It's weird, when something so takes over your life like moving. I let every other single thing, including e-mail, phone calls, Bookfest and poetry fall by the wayside. All I did was pack and paint and tear out carpet and throw things in big black trash bags labeled "kitchen" or "office." All I did was try and figure out, "is this mine or his" and "did I switch all the utilities?"

Mostly, I mention the moving thing because my cast of characters has changed and my scenery is different. Archie and Miss Helen did not move with us. And now I have a purple door. Things like that. I have made it a point to not EVER use this blog to write about relationships (of the romantic sort). I think too much usually gets said there (and you know what a private person I am hahaha) and I want my blog to be a place away from that. But here are a few insights on moving (on)...
1. There really is such a thing as too much alcohol (and I'm not talking about me).
2. It's good to have friends. It's even better to have friends that will help you move (You guys rock!).
3. If you can get it all done in one day, do it (even if all you want to do is sleep and your friends force you to finish it up).
4. When buying furniture, always ask for the floor model. You get a sweet discount (although you mustn't be bothered by scratches, nicks and a faulty door latch).
5. And finally, one of my favorite Zen quotes..."Fall down seven times, stand up eight" (Yeah).

5 comments:

karla said...

You are SO right--there really is such a thing as too much alcohol. And I don't want that for you. So send me your extra.

Anonymous said...

yea for you and j

Anonymous said...

I love Sutter Creek Trail and can't wait to see it again ...
I bet Stan is happy to be King again!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jill or jay said...

I've always wondered why people delete a comment. I deleted the last comment because it was a f**king advertisment for wireless service. How rude is that?! Now I understand why some people have their comments set so that they have to review each comment before it posts. Live and learn.

Karla, I just sent a big box of vodka your way :)

Jerry and Ann - I love you guys. Thanks. And Stan is very happy on his dog throne.