Monday, July 14, 2008

Kansas Redux


I never blog anymore. I will again someday. It's just a phase. Oh yeah, and I'm on vacation and HAVE NO INTERNET ACCESS. It's weird. I had no idea I was so infatuated by being on-line. I like surfing the Internet. It makes me laugh to watch "trampoline accidents" on youtube. I want to e-mail people and sit for an hour writing my blog. Too bad for me! Since I've been back in Kansas (one week today) I get 30 minute bits of time, in book stores and coffee shops, to check in. So, since my half hour is almost up I'm going to put on a few pictures, make a few more inane comments and then go fishing.
The train ride was wonderful. If you have never taken a train trip, get on it!! We slept good (in coach seats) and played games and read and ate. It's cheaper than air and took us way less time than driving.


I have a bit of garden grief.
My brother in Salina has a beautiful garden. But, get this...it's a community garden. It's in the country and for fifteen dollars (FIFTEEN DOLLARS. TOTAL) he gets a pretty big garden plot, free water, and they till it up for him at the beginning of the year. It's made me miss having a garden and watching all the shoots poke up out of the ground, the flowers turn into melons or squash. Next year.


This year, with the move, the Kansas deal, the late start, it just made more sense to take a year off. But I miss it.

Everything is so green here. Jay and I are headed out to East Lake near Newton to cast out for fish for a few hours after this. Today we already painted the pink bedroom and had someone come out for an estimate on the guttering. I'm getting things done.


My high school reunion was Saturday night. It was really fun. I don't keep in touch with many people who I've known since kindergarten but I saw a few there on Saturday. It's funny, I haven't seen them since the last reunion but it seemed so comfortable and familiar. I really like those people....and some of them were in totally different cliques than I was, but when we became adults, a lot of that separation just melted away. We laughed and talked and caught up and I was really glad I went.

This last photo is me driving a tractor pulling a load of kids. Okay, it's a mower, not a tractor. But I could drive a tractor if I had to. It's a requirement of the State of Kansas that if you own a home, you must know how to drive a tractor. Just in case.

3 comments:

barley wine paul said...

The train is great! I will have to log on to the amtrak job site today. Or maybe I can just get my hands on an Amtrak uniform and just ride the rails stow away style.

Rob said...

Way to go Kansas girl. Hi Jay. Hope you had fun fishing.

Rob said...

Cool photos too.