Thursday, July 3, 2008

Numbers

Getting ready to head back to Kansas (yeah, already) in a week. We're taking the train. Whoo-who! Here are the top 10 reasons why I like Kansas (in random order)...
1. My house there is very old and the floors tilt.
2. Scads of really nice people.
3. There is this heartbreaking feeling of loneliness when you look out
on those wheat fields going on forever.
4. The smell of the thunderstorms.
5. I have family there.
6. Rivers and streams and ponds and lakes....and green everywhere.
7. I have stories in my head from that place, and when I'm there,
I can see them so much more clearly.
8. Brick streets
9. Chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes.
10.The memories of my mom are all ones when she didn't have Alzheimer's yet. I see
her as she was in Kansas. When I think about her in Flagstaff, I have trouble
seeing her healthy, when I'm in Kansas, I ONLY see her as healthy.

Then, after a bit, we'll be coming back to Flagstaff. On the train again, where we'll play farkle and dominoes and eat snacks and watch the scenery. And here's the top 10 reasons why we're going to come back.....
1. No tornadoes, no mosquitoes, no humidity.
2. Scads of really nice people.
3. My house here is pretty new, it's perfect for parties, and it's pretty darn clean (most, okay, SOME of the time).
4. My friends are cool.
5. Stanley.
6. This is where I'm registered to vote.
7. The smell of the monsoons.
8. What a stellar place to raise a child.
9. When I think about my parents, this is the last house they were physically in with me...my dad sat on this couch in this room, relaxed on this back porch, and raked this front yard. It's a good set of memories.
10.There are so many things here filled with hope.



The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to
count our blessings.
--Eric Hoffer (1902-1983) American writer & philosopher

No comments: