Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stupid, Happy Animals

Hmmmmm. How about 30 days of epiphanies (a moment of sudden revelation or insight)? I had one tonight, while taking a lovely bath with anti-stress bath bubbles. And a glass of red wine. And a tall glass of water. And a book (Falling Through The Earth by Danielle Trussoni).

When I was a child, my parents and I were really just stupid, happy animals. We lived in a simple house, and we just lived. There was no weirdness or alcoholism or addiction or games, except for dominoes and gin rummy. We ate and slept and went to work and school. My parents, who were married for 65 years, had their share of fights, but there was no violence or tears. They were pretty fucking happy. They golfed and played bridge and bowled. My dad gardened and fished. My mom cooked and did volunteer work. Yes, we were simple animals. They did some things together and some things on their own. They each taught me different skills. We watched Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights.

This is why I have a hard time, occasionally, in the world. I have to deal with people. It just seems so simple to me. We had a home, not a fancy one, we had food on the table, not fancy stuff, and we had folks around to play dominoes with. Eat, work, play, love. As a teenager, of course, I suffered, for several years, from hormone induced hysteria (like all teenagers) which did make me scream "I hate you" at my father, and secretly buy birth control pills (which my mother found in my purse), and so I turned my back on the pack. But, over time, I regressed again to the cult of the simpleminded. That's where I am now.

Thirty days of Epiphany? Shhiiitttt. Does that sound high falutin or what!? It might take me 3 months to come up with 30 days of epiphanies. Fine. I'm going to take my time. I'll just write them down as they strike me. But I'm going to shoot for 30. For a stupid, happy animal there might be some pretty simplistic ideas, but revelation doesn't have to be complicated. I could use a little insight, and like beauty, I don't mind searching for it.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Einstein

No comments: