Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thirty Days of Stuff

I have realized I have word constipation. I need to write, I want to write, but when I sit down and try to let the words plunk out, they get stuck. There I am, hunched over (this is NOT a pretty picture) groaning, and they just stay inside. Fuck. So, while I've been agonizing over what my writing THEME should be for the next 30 days, I have just not written a damn thing. So, starting today, I'm taking the writing laxative (a teeny pill with the even teenier words, I don't give a crap what people think, written on it) (Hell, I don't even know if anyone reads my damn blog) (Is there a rule regarding parenthesis-in-a-row?) (It appears also that I'm on a swearing jag), and I'm going to just WRITE every day for 30 days. No theme, no category to worry about, no guidance. Just write. I'm going to start with just a couple things.....

Can you all just have your money ready when you're waiting in a drive through line? Folks always look so surprised when I request a couple bucks for the latte they ordered. They've been waiting five minutes (talking on the PHONE of course, that's a WHOLE other post) and when they get to the window, they suddenly have to dig through change in the ashtray, riffle through their purse, or frantically search for quarters on the floor. Just saying.....

There was something about writing about constipation that made me swear more than usual. That's interesting. To me.

I'm not going to give myself any hard and fast parameters about this writing thing but I'm going to TRY to stretch and write about things other than ME. My friend Tyge wrote about 30 things and he wrote about bands and cock roaches and the like. I'm going to try and incorporate that It'snotallaboutme thing at least a few times.

There is a snake living in the backyard. Here's a picture of it. I like this. I feel like he's (she's?) just another part of the zoo. Doesn't bother the chickens. Stan seems oblivious. Barney could care less. The turtles stay inside. I picked him up the other day. He was really beautiful and felt dry and warm. He's about two feet long. He has a home under the porch and he has one particular small opening in the pavers that he has to crawl through to get in. He suns in the same place everyday. I find it to be a little gift, this snake living in the backyard.

And finally, because those of you that have been reading my blog probably miss the quotes, here's a couple......

My company mascot is the bumblebee. Because of its tiny wings and heavy body, aerodynamically the bumblebee
shouldn't be able to fly. But the bumblebee doesn't know that, so it flies anyways.
--Mary Kay Ash

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
--Drew Carey

DISCLAIMER: I, in fact, do not hate my job. I rather like it. But this quote ALWAYS makes me laugh.

4 comments:

beansai said...

Yay! Glad to see you posting again, even if it is just about random stuff and constipation. This is Whisperingwillow by the way. I've been having serious word blockage too. Combined with self-indulgent word vomit. :) I'm working on it. Anyway, I'm excited about your thirty days of just writing. Especially in my current status of permanent boredom. It'll be nice to have consistent blog posts to read. :D I apparently feel like leaving a really long comment today.

We used to have California King Snakes growing up. They would always get under the shed. Do you know what kind of snake that is living in your backyard? And I don't mind me-me-me posts. I like knowing about people and their lives. It's interesting, even when it is just lame-o everyday stuff. In my opinion anyway. Cool beans and yay! to not caring about what people think. That is what I am trying to do on my other blogs. I find multiple blogs useful for this, lol. I've got one that focuses more on lit stuff and now one where I feel free to say whatever the hell I want. :) Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Writing without purpose is doodling. Do you want to doodle for 30 days? Then say so, but doodling isn't writing.
If you're going to write, write with an end in mind other than to fill 30 days with ink and paper in the happy hope that something meaningful will reveal
itself in the the process--"oh look, a poem!"
How about something deliberate, instead? Try writing a genre-based short story, for example: a suspense story, set on a train trip, for example.
Why suspense? Because it ain't easy. Successful suspense requires much from the writer.
Tom

jill or jay said...

You can't be both anonymous AND sign your name.