Friday, February 19, 2010

I'm back (1/29/10)

I initially wrote this a couple weeks ago when I was in the midst of a trial. I decided not to publish it because of the trial stuff. Then, I realized that it's good to remember what's important. It's good to understand that in the big picture, my hardships are not that hard. And to keep in mind what the real victories are.

Wow. It's been awhile. I think I'll take this moment to just dive in. For the last year and a half I've been the "as opposed to victim I prefer the phrase girl-who-had-a-gun-held-to-her-head" in a criminal case in town. I still can't REALLY blog about it but soon......

Right now, I can tell you that I've been sitting in a courtroom for the last 4 days, listening to, and playing, a game. Kind of like the Superbowl (okay, I'm not that self-inflated, make it high school football). Two sides, two game plans, crazy rules and at some point, a winner.

I was a little overwhelmed coming home today. I had stellar friend support, a good man, fabulous victim witness folks, and yet still had the knowledge that life is a crap shoot and who KNOWS what will happen. Up, down, up, down. I even asked for positive energy and good thoughts on facebook and a whole bunch of great people answered me. So I felt really hopeful, and yet really vulnerable. My part in the trial was over. On one hand, I was strong, didn't get bullied by lawyers, and kept on track. On the other, a little man in a nice suit tried to twist everything I said, some girl lied about me and I had to look at people I didn't really like. Yuck! Then I got home and stood. Just stood. Slowly came back to this planet. Changed into sweats and slippers, riffled through People magazine. And on this planet I read my e-mail.......(yes, I'm loving the ellipses today)

Here's what I found......

WE MUST NEVER STOP HOPE-ING; PRAY-ING; AND BELIEVING EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
GREAT WAY TO START THIS NEW DECADE!!
SMILE AND ENJOY, BEV

Now, I'm not sure who Bev is. But her email was in response to my dear friend Jerry E, who has been fighting melanoma. I know that he will not mind me relaying this one sentence or two......

"We got some good news in Tucson last Thursday. My melanoma is, for the first time, STABLE. There was no progression of the disease since last November."

Now, that, my friends, is the important news of the day. There might be a trial. There might be too much snow. There might even be headaches and fear and Kurt Warner's retirement. But my friend Jerry's melanoma is stable. With news like that, none of the rest of it really matters. And hey, send your prayers, good thoughts, positive energy, and messages of hope through the universe Jerry's way.


"The things that will destroy us are politics without principle;
pleasure without conscience;
wealth without work;
knowledge without character;
business without morality;
science without humanity;
and worship without sacrifice." --
Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: