Friday, May 23, 2008

Snow


This is Flagstaff today.....

And, because I seem to be unable to stop writing as of late....

I was reading a little Vonnegut last night in bed and I remembered this quote (see below), from my 67 pages of quotes in my "Quote" file. Then when I looked at it this morning, I thought, and yes, it's also cold in the summer. And then, reading over my blog from last night (see below), I was feeling interminably grateful for all the wonder in my life, all the simple things like having a bed and food and a boy doing homework in the kitchen and a dog on the couch, and it made me think of all the scary things out there and all the people going through really rough times - the earthquakes and tornadoes and just the plain, hellish lives some people are living. Then, I felt so helpless in wanting to help SOMEHOW but not having a clue as to what to do to make a difference in the world. THEN, I decided (back to this quote) that while I'm trying to figure out how to help and how to be a better person and how to make a difference, probably being kind is the best way to start. Talk about stream of consciousness......

Hello babies, welcome to earth. It's hot in the summer and
cold in the winter. It's round, and wet, and crowded. At
the outset babies, you've got about a 100 years here.
There's only one rule that I know of babies – Damn it,
you've got to be kind. There's only one rule: you've got to
be kind.
--Kurt Vonnegut, from "God Bless you Mr. Rosewater"

No comments: