Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Simplistic Movie Review

I really loved the movie, Where The Wild Things Are. One reason is quotes like this...

Judith: Happiness isn't always the best way to be happy.

But really I liked it because it's kind of sad. I loved the realism of the family. I loved the darkness of the realism of the family. I loved the way the darkness did not interfere with the love. Maybe the darkness was a big slice of the love. I loved how it all existed at once. I loved how the child was lonely and that loneliness was so palpable. I loved the creatures and how they were filled with metaphor and slime. I loved that Spike Jonze actually took actors to an island and dressed them up in nine foot tall furry suits and made them run around (I also like that he spells his name with a z). I loved the fort made out of twigs and I loved how it looked as if it was made with a Spirograph. I loved that the monsters could be conquered by "staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once," I loved the seesaw of fear and comfort, I even loved that Sendak said, when asked, “What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?" answered, “I would tell them to go to hell. That’s a question I will not tolerate.”

It just came out on DVD and I'm going to go buy it. I tried to win it on some site but they haven't e-mailed me yet with the good "You're the Winner" news so I suppose I'll just fork over the cash because I like it THAT much.

See it.

No comments: