Monday, March 29, 2010

Run for your lives.....it's Direct TV

When I was ensconced in my One Year of Opus, did I ever make the comment, "I'm so tired?" I think not. If I remember correctly, I was painting things, writing poems, taking care of my dear mama, and gardening. I was busy. I was using my noggin (my dad's word) to figure out color schemes and what to plant and what to feed the boy and how to keep my mom warm. But I don't believe I was tired. Now, I am TIRED. T-I-R-E-D. Most nights I am too tired to blog. I am too tired to watch The Daily Show or Chelsea Handler. I am too tired to go out and drink a bunch of beer. WTF. But, obviously, I am NOT too tired to complain.

Direct TV sucks. I'm putting it out there. I'm even going to say this, youfuckersatDirecttvpissmeoff. I have always been mired in confusion regarding television. When I was a kid you didn't PAY for tv. You got 13 channels and it was free, aside from the electricity it took to run the television. Then there was cable, and then Satellite tv. And it's expensive! Lots of moolah. But if you want to watch tv, (and I don't even get the premium channels!) you have to do it.

So a few years ago I had cable. It kept going out. Two years ago I got Direct TV. I had the serviceman come out to the house. Here's what they do...they drill HOLES in your outside walls and run a thick white cable into your house. They run that white cable along the outside of your house to the dish. They don't put it in the wall. It looks crappy. But that's how they do it. And that's the BEST part. The contract looms. In the contract it says that they will give you a good price for 12 months, but the contract is for 24 months. So basically, after a year they can raise your rates and you are still committed for another year. When the guy was out here installing it I told him I just wanted a year contract. He said, YES, THAT'S FINE, JUST CROSS OUT THE 24 MONTHS AND PUT IN 12. So I did that. Haha on me. The company does not consider the installers as "spokespeople" for the company. WTF? I found this out because after one year my cost for Direct tv DOUBLED. Ughhhhh. When I called them and told them about my special 12 month contract they pretty much laughed at me. Hahaha that's not valid. So, while waiting for the second 12 month contract to run out, we went to Best Buy last week and got another receiver box to put in the guest room so Jay could continue his March Madness obsession. I had the receiver box activated, but the next day I couldn't get it to work, I called Direct tv and they fixed it, and also informed me that when I activated the box, I was gifted with ANOTHER EIGHTEEN MONTH CONTRACT. At the stinking higher price.

They were horrible. Evil. Yucky. They made me cry. And I have Direct tv for eighteen more months because it would cost 465 dollars to break my NEW contract. That I didn't even okay. That they have no signature on and no verbal agreement. I went to my trusty Internet and looked up "Direct tv scam" and there it was...rampant tv angst. Hundreds of people caught in the Direct tv web of lies. Sadly, there was something very comforting about being part of a group clusterfuck as opposed to being the only one duped.

I never believed this kind of shit. I always thought, Well, I could get out of that. Or, you just have to explain it. But truly, they have you over the old proverbial barrel. So, I've cut my service down to the bare minimum. And September 20, 2011, I am calling Direct tv for the last time. Until then, I am going to fight off my lethargy for the sake of complaining about Direct tv to everyone I know. Consider yourself warned.

No comments: