Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools - Not

I am at the drive-thru window this morning. Six-thirty. A woman is stopped right next to the microphone box. Now, there are four car lengths between the window where I hand out the drinks and the box where customers order. There are no cars in that space because the woman has been on her cell phone for A VERY LONG TIME. I keep saying, HI! HOW YA DOIN TODAY? CAN I START CHA OFF WITH A DARK CHERRY MOCHA OR A BLUEBERRY SCONE, only to be met with silence. I say it over and over. This is not a joke. This is not an April Fools. Finally, she orders. She drives down to the window. There is a line behind her of irritated people who are ALL going to say, "You're making drinks kind of slow today, aren't ya?" to which I will want to reply, "Go to hell" but instead I'll say "I'm so sorry! It sure got backed up there for a minute but here's your drink! Have a fabulous day!!!" She gets to the window and says, "I'm sorry, I just couldn't get off the phone." Yes, she says that. Take a minute. Mull that over in your head. I did. How about, "Hey, can you hold on for a sec, I have to order a latte" or "Hey, I gotta go, I'm in the drive-thru and there are a dozen cars behind me" or "Gotta go" or even the simple "Bye." How could someone not know these ideas??? I say, "Yeah, it makes me crazy how many people talk on their phones in the drive-thru" and she takes her drink and drives away.

You might think from the stories I tell that I don't like my job but actually, it's moments like the one above that keep me there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay i was actually there for that one. not quite sure how or why we subject ourselves to this kind of behavior. i swear before i worked for starbucks i thought people were generally good. now i laugh at the thought. haha. haha. i've got a dirty thumb