Thursday, August 9, 2007

Updates

Mom
My mama is improving. Yesterday she walked (with a walker) over a hundred steps. The physical therapist is great and encouraging and talks to my mom and smiles a lot. My mom smiles back and says a few words here and there. But, put that walker in front of her, show her where to hang on, and she's off. She can put all her weight on that one leg, and although she is still really bruised up, she's getting better. The Director of the facility has been very nice. He's listened to my concerns and worked to correct some of the ick. He keeps his door open and is very kind. And I know that I can be a stickler about things. (Once when I was in Europe a million years ago, I argued with a Taxi driver because he started the meter too early. I found out that I was arguing over 4 cents. If he's reading my blog I'd like to take this moment to apologize.) So, here's the big learning hoo-ha.....no one will love and take care of your relatives like you will. This is the same lesson I learned when I owned a retail business - no employee will take care of the store like you would. Even if they're a good person in general, they will sluff off, make personal calls and might even steal from you. Cause it ain't their store. So, this time around I am reminded that, if I want my mom taken care of in an acceptable manner, I must be vigilant. I must supervise. Here's my advice (oh no, run for the hills!)...Be there. Visit at all different hours. If you don't live there, call at all different hours. Especially in the evening when the supervisors have gone home. Be vocal. Voice your worries and complaints. Also, see what's right and say that too. Try to find one relative or friend that can drop in once a day. And if you find your mother sitting at the dining table naked underneath a very thin, open in the back, flimsy hospital gown; shivering, then get some clothes from her room and dress her yourself. Don't rely on someone else to do it all.


Garden
Lots of zucchini. Round stripped cantaloupes. Green tomatoes galore, ready to redden with the sun that's coming back. Turnips getting fatter. Pumpkins no where to be seen (that one tiny one fell off boohoo). Watermelons no chance in hell. The monsoon rains made everything all lush and bright. I could go for another week of that but I think the sun is back. I do believe I'll get some full size cantaloupe though.

Creativity
Well, I finished the book, "Honeymoon With My Brother" and have also read one called "The Wasp Eater." I started "Abundance" last night. It's about Marie Antoinette and it's quite good already. I consider the blackberry excursion a creative endeavor and I'm almost done knitting another hat. I made a butterscotch pie that turned out absolutely horrid. However, eating the butterscotch pudding stuff out of the pan after I filled the pie crust was yummy. Can I just say here that I desperately want school to start. It's much tougher than I thought it would be to attempt any kind of opus when I'm trying to entertain a nine-year-old at the same time. But no excuses!!! Is drinking wine considered creative? Ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If drinking wine is a measure of creativity, then I score pretty high.

Good for you for taking such good care of your mum. Maybe she doesn't know or remember much, but she is really lucky to have you as her daughter. We should all be so fortunate to have such care in a time of need. You show her (and those that care for her) dignity and respect. What more could we ask?