Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Width and Depth

I'll start off with a limerick in honor of Stan, including inspirational Stan photo.

There once was a dog named Stan,
who was really a small furry man.
He rested his head
on a soft comfy bed,
and said, "Bring me treats if you can."

Ta-dummm.
I can see that blog writing can get to the point of being so self absorbed. I have to admit though, I do like it. I'm writing more than I have in ages! And I like that I have no way of knowing if anyone is actually even reading it. I'm not sure what the exact root is here - vanity? lunacy? bird flu? - but I also must admit that I like the act of writing even more when I assume someone might be reading it. And still, I prefer the not knowing.

This funny tomato grew in the garden. I felt compelled to add eyes. I do so love the accidents of life. I think it was quite tame of me to assume that it's a nose and decorate accordingly. I took about 30 pictures of it and then laughed and laughed when I realized I was taking pictures of a goofy vegetable (okay, fruit) with pasted on eyes.

My mother is improving. She can't really speak much or respond but she had 20 staples taken out of her hip yesterday and I'm sure it feels better. I can tell how she's feeling by her facial expressions and the last couple times Jay and I have been up there, she's smiling and alert. She loves to watch Teletubbies and Curious George so I Scotch taped the TV channel setting to Channel 8, PBS, today so she can see good things. And I tend to become a maniac when I find that someone has changed her channel to Jerry Springer. Maybe I'll just super glue it to channel eight. Ha!

This was her at seventy-five. I hope I'm feeling that good at seventy-five. I'm getting my fair entries ready and I thought I'd include this picture of my dad and little Jay too.


You can't do anything about the length of your life, but
you can do something about its width and depth.
--H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thought. May all our lives be wide and deep.

barley wine paul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.