Sunday, September 2, 2007

The fair, part one

You know how when you're really young, life is filled with "first" things. For instance; first bike, first letter you ever got in the mail, first time driving a car, first sushi experience, on and on, almost every day had a first. Today I had a "last." It was my last time riding the tilt-a-whirl. I was at the fair with my boy and we were cruising through the midway. I saw the tilt-a-whirl and, after talking my son into it (oh, come on. It's so fun. I laugh SO hard on this ride), there I was, waist bar across my lap, grinning like a fool, bring it ON! I spent the next 5 minutes, which felt like an hour, thinking, "Don't throw up. Just do not throw up" in-between saying "isn't this fun!?" to Jay. Wah-hoo! My fair mantra...do-not-throw-up do-not-throw-up do-not-throw-up. And to think I used to lean into the tilt to make the car spin faster. ugh. No more tilt-A-whirl. Ever. Done. Move on. Even the Ferris wheel seemed a little edgy. I kept thinking, "I would most definitely die if I fell from this height" and "this fair is only in town for 4 days, I bet they slap these things up in a hurry." Obviously my LIVE NOW theory does not apply to risk taking, extreme sports or county fairs.

After the rides, we hit the games. I love the carnies and yet I'm slightly afraid of them. We played that game where you have a squirt gun and you aim at a small circle with the stream of water, which makes a little monkey climb a tree. The first monkey to the top wins. I had flashbacks at that point because, at one of the same carnivals where I loved the tilt-a-whirl, I also played this same game with my niece, Suzy. When the nice carny said "go", Suzy turned her squirt gun on the nice carny and just doused the guy. We ended up leaving in quite a hurry. Thank god I'd already experienced my favorite, the tilt-a-whirl.

Today, I also became the person carrying around the huge mutant stuffed animal. Yes, it is possible to get that little ring over the neck of the glass milk bottle. And you have to love the inflatable AK-47 assault rifle. Tomorrow - The fair, part two...the awarding of the ribbons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ahahah... Ya I love close to canadas wonderland and when i was young I used to go there all the time...now just WATCHING the rides on TV makes me feel a little....not so well... It looks like your boy had fun!!!

Anonymous said...

"Dont throw up" kept me from getting on rides for a long, long time. However, last year when I returned from England I met up with my son and his family in Disneyland. I was determined to find a way to go on every ride my grandchildren did. I found it!
Dramamine!
I took it when we entered the park and rode every ride. There are many years left of whirling rides with Jay.