Monday, September 10, 2007

Mostly weird

I have never been a dog person. When I was a kid we had a German short hair hunting dog that was mostly my dad's. She stayed in the back yard except on VERY cold winter nights when he let her sleep in the garage. I now have three dogs. I have no idea how in the hell I got them. But I LOVE them. I find myself petting them for no reason. I pick them up and carry them like babies. I (eewwww) kiss their furry noggins. Archie is this Corgi with a faulty ear. It droops. He's 5 months old. Yes, I bought him at a pet shop (puppymill) because he was on sale. Helen is the deaf/blind girl (who is Archie's platonic girlfriend...they be lovin on each other all the time. Biting each other's ears and stuff...chasing around the yard). Helen is 5 years old and was quite sedentary until the Arch man came into her life. She was a rescue dog that we got about 10 month ago. And Stan is the king. He's the only one allowed to come upstairs...and that's to wake up his boy (Jay) in the morning. He's 3 years old and a bit stuffy. Another pet shop special, on sale, getting old in the tiny cubicle at Petland. He and Arch Stanton (each dog has 50 names) are now, after a month, sleeping next to each other when they're not sinking their teeth into each other's throats or fighting for supreme toy possession. No, I've never been a dog person. I always thought they were stinky and slightly stupid. I liked cats. I still do (wouldn't those three dogs LOVE a kitten?!). I used to pet dogs with just the tips of my fingers, you know, as to not get any dog yuck on me. Arms length dog petter. I must confess, I'm still a bit that way with other people's dogs. But I really love my dogs. I find it interesting when people change TRULY in a way they never thought they would. Every once in a while I check in with myself and yep, sure enough, I do love those dogs.

The following thing is a total embarrassment but I must be honest....I get so flipping happy for celebrities at times. When I found out this weekend (People magazine was in the mail!) that Halle Berry is pregnant, it was like it happened in my own family! After all those bad horrid relationships! After illness and abandonment! And here she is 41! She seems like such a nice girl. I was happy about it the whole darn weekend. Is that weird?

Then, out driving around in the outback, I came upon this tree. It was old and burned out and very tall and it had this cool heart shape in it. I always feel so lucky when I stumble on things like this. And looking at the picture, the heart shape isn't really that apparent, but it was super cool when we saw it. It was next to a really muddy pond where Jay and I found these strange alien tadpoles that have a split tail thing and a shell-type covering. Now they were bizarre. We brought two home and I did think, momentarily, that they might hop out of the jar during the night and overtakeus. Which is weirder...those creatures or that I actually let Jay bring two home? Hmmmmm.

The Farmer's market is still going (until the first weekend of October) and I went there Sunday to pick up tamales. I had plenty of veggies at home but found this succulent plant called a lithops. It looks kind of like a butt. It was so odd I had to get one.

All life is an experiment.
--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Awwww-you're just a late bloomer dog lover! There is nothing like a floppy ear and wagging tail and stinky breath to greet you when you come home from work! When my Dad passed I was sitting at my dining room table crying...Mr. Cooper got up and walked slowly across the room and put his head on my knee with the sweetest, most worried expression on his face. He knew I was sad. Of course, he will also do this when I'm on the toilet so it may have been a coincidence. Ha!

jenny said...

Hmm, I am the same way with dogs. I only pet with my fingertips. We adopted a dog from the shelter once, but it didn't work out. He kept charging the cats and after 2 weeks of charging and fighting him off the bed, we gave up and took him back. We felt terrible but it wasn't the right fit for us. We will try again with a puppy this time and hope it will look at the cats and not know what they are or that dogs and cats are (supposedly) not supposed to get along.

You aren't weird-- I was happy for Halle too!!

D-HOR said...

Man where do I start?

Awwwww your doggies are CUTE! And OH I SO know what you mean about not wanting to pet other peoples dogs. Don't they always seem dirty to you? Like nobody but you gives their dog a bath? Ah well at least it's not only me.

I loved the pic of the tree! And you HAAAVVVEEE to tell us what those tad poles turn into!! Can you take a close up? You've got me freaked out excited about them. How cool!

jill or jay said...

Comments from three of my favorite blog-girls on one post! I feel I've reached a milestone. Close up of strange tadpole coming up. You guys are all great.

Whispering Willow said...

Your dogs are absolutely adorable! We have three dogs in our apartment and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are so much fun to have around. I'm glad you've come to like doggies :).