Friday, September 21, 2007

The List


Here is a list. A list of names. I was going through some drawers from my mom's old dresser and found this. I knew immediately what it was. When my mom and dad used to live at Fountain View Village (see post from Aug 19 "Whew") they would have dinner in the dining room every night. My dad made a list of the servers names because he felt it was good to call people by their names. So, at dinner, he would pull out his list and slide it halfway under his plate. When he saw a face, he could match the name from the list to it. He still occasionally got mixed up but as a general rule, he was spot on for getting the names right with his little cheat sheet. Things like that were so important to him. Someday soon I'm going to tell you his story.

A sad tale about vegetables. Okay, not too sad. We had a FREEZE two nights ago. Darn. Quite a bit of my garden was decimated. Although, most things had been harvested. I still have four eggplant, some tomatoes, a couple turnips and some bell peppers outside but most everything else either froze or had already been picked. Next year I'm building a greenhouse. And I'm going to expand the garden. Whoooaa. It's fall and I'm planing my springtime already. But I'm also living in my fall. Next week the leaves should really be turning. Tonight we're going into the woods for a fire and light-up Frisbee and a glass of wine (root beer for the under 12 crowd). Elk bugle at night and there are deer everywhere. Stars are out like crazy and I'm going to wear a sweater. Yeah, it's fall.

1 comment:

matthew said...

1) that sounds awesome.

2) broken vegetables live on.

3) your dad sounds like he was pretty awesome.

4) let's never lose our lists.