Wednesday, January 5, 2011

#1, 2011

I was on the cover of a magazine. I have no idea how or why it happened. Someone must think I'm a writer.



Some things I'd like to do in 2011....
1. Travel somewhere warm and beachy.
2. Discover new music that is so good I can't sleep. That happened with Counting Crows, August and Everything After.
3. Learn how to can vegetables. Hahaha, that's been on my list for five years and I've never done it. No chance.
4. Prepare for the end of the world in 2012 by hoarding bottled water and toilet paper.
5. See a live concert.
6. Exercise three times a week with "Just Dance 2" on the Wii.
7. Make dinner and eat it at the table on a regular basis. As opposed to stick taquitos in the microwave for Jay and feed him while he watches basketball on TV and grab a handful of chips and a glass of wine for myself.

Whew! That's enough.

Speaking of food, here's a great soup....make it.....eat it.

Spicy Pecan Soup

2T butter
1/2 cup minced onion
3T minced garlic
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
6 oz can tomato paste
2 cups heavy cream (I used almond milk instead and it was great, no cholesterol, way less calories)
2T lemon juice
3 cups pecan pieces
3T finely chopped chipotles (I only used 2T because I am mildly spicy girl)
salt/pepper

Cook and stir onion and garlic in butter for five minutes. pour i stock and whisk in tomato paste, cream and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Turn to medium/low and add pecan pieces and chipotle. In batches, puree in blender Pour back into pot and heat. Super easy and REALLY tasty. Make beer bread to go along with it. Drink a buttery white wine, or a slightly tannic Chianti.

3 comments:

said...

Shame on you for not putting a link to the magazine! I found it online though, and what a great article, and even more, some great pics of you! Very nice.

I was going to submit a cocktail napkin poem a while back, but got so drunk that night, I forgot. Next time perhaps.

Again, nice article. I may be heading to Flagstaff this summer, just to ride my bike around.

jill or jay said...

Tyge - Thank you for the article comments! And you have to come see us if you come to Flagstaff! B and I always say that some night we're going to drive to Vegas, show up at Money Plays, and buy you a drink. And it's not too late for the cocktail napkin poem....I think I might just put a book together. Actually, I think that middle paragraph IS a cocktail napkin poem :)

said...

Ya'll should make a jaunt to Vegas and visit Money Plays! Although, if I'm not there, check around the corner at P.T.'s pub. Mp's has been going downhill lately, and I'm hanging out there less often. It's a shame after so many years. A book of napkin poems is an awesome idea... kinda like a drunk, artsy "Post Secret." Do it.
Thanks for keeping my link on your blog, but can you update to my new URL? I need to get my money's worth out of the new dot com address. Enjoyed your guest's music post. I'm always open to more music!