Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hello?

My son had his first "anonymous girl" phone call tonight. The phone rang (yes, we still have a land line) and it came up as Private Call. I answered it and there was a moment of silence. Hello, I said. A young girl giggled and asked, Is this Jay's house? I answered, yes, would you like to talk to him? Giggle. Giggle. Who is this, I asked. A girl from his class, came the reply. Giggle. Background second-girl giggle. Well he's right here, you can talk to him, I said. Jay was standing a foot from me looking puzzled. I handed him the phone. Hello, he said. Hi, yes, no, no, who is this, he said. Click. He didn't recognize the voice but he was quite flattered. Nothing rude or vile was said. Just twelve year old giggling girls and a perplexed thirteen year old boy. I thought it was cute and sweet. SOMEBODY has a crush on you, I said (shrieked). But WHO? Jay responded. And got nervous and smiley. What a small little window of time. When you are suddenly aware of the opposite sex and yet everything is still innocent and dear. No seriousness or decisions or hurt or CRAZY MAKING BEHAVIOR.

I've been feeling a large amount of grace lately. Towards me, I mean. I read a short definition of grace as being unmerited mercy and I loved that. I've been feeling loved and blessed and lucky and sheltered. And through none of my own creating. So, all you friends and angels and anonymous perpetrators of kindness out there....I appreciate you and I am going to work at putting it all back out there.

“I do not at all understand the mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.”
--Anne Lamott

And, a MLK quote I just found......

“Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

One quote seems to be about receiving grace and the other about bestowing grace. Now, in regards to the MLK quote....combined with the fact that I started teaching English 100 and 101 again today.....you actually DO have to make your subject and verb agree, but I still like the quote. Hahahaha.

And then, because I so like definitions....

Grace:

--(Christian theology) a state of sanctification by God; the state of one who is under such divine influence;
--elegance and beauty of movement or expression; "a beautiful figure which she used in subtle movements of unparalleled grace"
--seemliness: a sense of propriety and consideration for others; "a place where the company of others must be accepted with good grace"
--a disposition to kindness and compassion; "the victor's grace in treating the vanquished"
--(Greek mythology) one of three sisters who were the givers of beauty and charm; a favorite subject for sculptors
--a short prayer of thanks before a meal; "their youngest son said grace"
--(Christian theology) the free and unmerited favor or beneficence of God; "God's grace is manifested in the salvation of sinners"; "there but for the grace of God go I"
-- A disposition to be generous or helpful; goodwill.
-- Mercy; clemency.
-- A favor rendered by one who need not do so; indulgence.
-- A temporary immunity or exemption; a reprieve.
-- Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people.
-- The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God.
-- Music; An appoggiatura, trill, or other musical ornanment in the music of 16th and 17th century England.

Okay, now I'm on a roll. I am LOVING these grace quotes. They all just seem to fit.

“Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace.”
-- May Sarton

Of course I was going to work gardening in here somehow :)

“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”
--Denis Waitley

“life is a gift, and i try to respond with grace and courtesy”
-- Maya Angelou

So, I just had one of those weird moments. I saw the quote, "Tuesdays child is full of grace." Well, I was born on Tuesday and I have always been a fairly clumsy type. I never understood that damn quote. I thought that quote meant elegance, but maybe it means mercy, a sense of gratitude, and THAT stuff. It makes sense to me now. Cool.

2 comments:

Brook Ann ( the Great ) said...

Jill, I loved your post about grace. It reminded me of when you sent me a box of books. That was definitely unmerited mercy, you showed me such grace with that very meaningful act. I will never forget that. Then I was thinking that I have been in Mexico for almost four years, which means I have been following your blog for that long. Which means you have been doing it for that long. WOW, time flies. I still love your blog. Brook

jill or jay said...

Hi Brook! Wow, that IS a long time. Thank you for your comment! I slacked off on the blog for awhile but I'm trying to write on a regular basis these days. I'm glad you still check in. And yours? I would love to see a picture of the kids :)