Monday, January 10, 2011

Games & Soup

Pente!!!!!

This is a great game. It takes some brain, but not as much as chess. It has little round glass pieces that are smooth and appealing. It is difficult, yet fun, and is perfectly suited to a nice glass of red. There is nothing to read. As one plays for the first time, one might think they are playing an ancient Japanese game, created centuries ago, filled with history and mystique. Hahaha. Nope, created by Hasbro in 1977.

I made borscht on Saturday. I made it because I found nine bags of beets in the garage freezer. They were from the garden in 2009. Heaven forbid I throw them away, I knew they would still be good and beet-like.

Hold that thought.

I have a Facebook profile. I went into Facebook kicking and screaming. I was NOT going to succumb to a teenage social network that doled out sound bites of information. Was. Not. But I eventually got on board, as I will probably do with every technological invention that comes my way if I can figure it out. So, here it is, 2011, and although I have a Facebook profile, I remain a lurker. I decided that since my friend, Maggie, was popping out sentences on facebook, I would occasionally jot down a few myself. So to make a very short story stupidly long, I wrote on my facebook, Jill Divine "is making borscht."

This is the comment I got from my son....

" It didn't taste very good and it was too red! But overall if my mom made it again I would probably eat it."

I love Facebook. I love borscht. Here's what goes in it....
3 C diced beets
2 cups diced carrots 1 medium onion
bit of garlic
several stalks celery
8 cups broth (either chicken or veggie)
half a head of shredded cabbage
teaspoon or so fresh dill
sour cream

Saute onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add broth, beets, carrots, dill, and celery. Cook for an hour or so. Add cabbage and cook for another hour. Spoon into bowls and add a dollop (wtf) of sour cream. sprinkle with a bit more dill.

Again, yum.

This is a bit of health in every spoonfull. And, by the way, whereas Pente has not so much history, borscht does....here

No comments: