Wednesday, July 25, 2007

All About My Mom

May you live all the days of your life.
--Jonathan Swift





I went to see my mom yesterday. She's my little sweetheart and my big motivator.










Here is a poem about her....




Care

I would stand in the circular drive
at McEachron elementary school, my hand splayed out
above my eyes, watching
for the Olds.
When it pulled up, I would struggle
with the heavy door against
the Kansas wind and settle my slight
ten year old self
on the burgundy velvet bench seat.
We were going to Bike’s
Burger Bar for thirteen cent hamburgers
while all the other kids sat
at the gray formica tables in the stark gymnasium,
eating beef-a-roni and drinking milk
from tiny red and white cartons.

Every other Friday at exactly noon
she came to get me;
the only one leaving school for lunch, the only one
having a Bike’s hamburger with french fries
and a pop. Sitting at the speckled table,
my mother would listen as I talked in-between bites;
she would ask questions,
and make sure I had enough ketchup.
I don’t know what we talked about; recess maybe,
a mean boy or how my cat, Tony,
could meow the loudest of all the cats.
And before she took me back
she would dip her napkin in the cold,
sharp ice water and wipe my face.

On Saturdays she would let me
polish the philodendrons with a cotton ball
and a plastic cup of milk and mayonnaise.
She would vacuum,
and iron sheets and handkerchiefs
while I knelt on the floor
and cleaned each soft green leaf.

Now we are walking down a sidewalk
where nothing is familiar
to her. Not the cars passing, not the house
where they have lived
for seventeen years, not even me. I think
that I would like her to take me to Bike’s Burger Bar
again, or mix the milk and mayonnaise
with an old tarnished spoon
and let me wash the leaves
for her. I would like to sit together
by the side of the house, planting marigolds
and petunias, dropping the pink, writhing earthworms
in a Folgers Coffee can; the scant grounds
of coffee left in the bottom
for food. I would like to go somewhere with her
and have her listen to me, and ask questions,
and make sure I have enough ketchup.

She will not ask any questions today.
But the hand that I hold is the one that once held
the damp napkin and washed the lunch from my face.
It is the one
that held the iron
and planted the marigolds, the one that
opened the Folgers and turned off the light
before I slept. As we keep walking, I settle
myself against her slight frame,
draping my arm across her shoulder,
and hold tight to the body, living.

End



Not to get preachy here, cause you know I hate preachy, but this woman had a miserable, abusive childhood. And then somehow, she pulled it together, and she became a great mom and wife and community volunteer. She was the queen of macrame plant hangers, and the stand-on-the-porch-and watch-the-tornadoes-roll-in gal. She was there for me and my family, for her friends, and even for herself. She had a wonderful balance in her world.



This last picture is from yesterday. When I walked in she was snoozing on the couch. She woke up when I sat down. I chatted, she sat next to me. She has the smoothest, softest skin of anyone I know. She put her hand on my hair, like she's done a million times before, and I knew that if she could have said any one full complete sentence it would have been..."When are you going to do something with your hair?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hermitgirl said...

Wow. In that first picture you look JUST LIKE her. It's really awesome. I'm sorry you are going through something so tough. Seems like you're doing the best anyone could, cherishing her.

Anonymous said...

okay i'm crying now....kylaraye

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!
Some I had not seen before