Thursday, July 19, 2007

How does this garden grow?


This is the first Mr Stripey tomato. He has plenty of time to grow very big and very striped. What a flipping cool thing. I still don't think I'll believe it until I see it...red tomato, orange stripes. Who ever heard of such a thing? Genetically altered? Freak of nature? My plan is to go to an Amish seed web site (yes there is) and get my seeds there for next year. Heirloom, I believe, is what they call them.
Then, I'll figure out how to harvest the seeds from my own plants to sow the following year.

And next we have a wee pumpkin. I love to grow pumpkins, even if it is stupidly optimistic. The growing season is so short here that they almost never get big and ripe. I don't even care if all I get are the pumpkin flowers. They are beautiful, all huge and sticky and yellow-orange. And the plants are wild and green and they have those tiny springy-type vines that shoot out and grab hold of other plants and the random trellis. Those little buggers are strong!

This small okra fellow is cool. He's the only one so far. Anyone have any good okra recipes? I'm hoping, of course, for more than one okra. They tend to be quite slimey if you don't prepare them right. My dad was a huge okra fan.

And finally, my favorite of the day. The smallish, purple hiding turnip. Can you see him? He's just expanding underground, quiet and nestled in the dirt. I will put him in soup with fat chunks of hamburger and carrots and a bit of pasta. In the fall when it's chilly at night and time to wear sweatpants again. Yum.

1 comment:

hermitgirl said...

aaaaaaawesome. god I love gardens. :) beautiful wheelbarrow with lettuce, too!