Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Knitting gives me a tension knot



I've been knitting. As a general rule, I despise knitting. The needles are too long and I always pull the yarn too tight and then I can't get the one needle underneath the yarn and I miss stitches and it's basically a huge lesson in futility. Plus, my fingers get in the way, and the instructions appear to written in a foreign language. But now I LOVE it. I found a new way to knit. As you can see, hats have already been made! I'm using these round looms. I wrap the yarn around the loom, use one small hook instrument, and then, wa-laa, there is a hat.



I've also been making beaded mason jar hanging lanterns. I'm a weirdo. This picture does not do them justice. I do need to refine the finished product a bit and put about an inch and a half of fine, clean sand in the bottom for the candle to nestle in. They look beautiful at night lit up outside. I like the plain-ness of the mason jar with the little bit of bead pizazz on the handle.


As for me and my day...after the cake comes out of the oven (It's my dad's birthday today and although he died three years ago, I really like the ritual of still making him a cake. I spend the day thinking about him and honoring him a bit. And I'm sure that somebody will eat the cake.), I'm going to head up to see my mom. It appears that they're taking much better care of her now that I've lit a fire under their bums.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill - Just wanted you to know we're thinking about you. Glad your mom's surgery went well. Keep the creative fire burning.
Tim