Monday, July 30, 2007

I was going to write about something else

Well, here I sit, drinking a lush glass of rich red wine from a bottle that cost over ONE STINKIN HUNDRED DOLLARS. No, I am not celebrating. (I really did not intend for my blog to be a vent, only a smiling icon of creativity, oh well. And I really have only had half a glass. Can I talk about my mother?) My mom got released today from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility. Less than 72 hours after a hip replacement. She's 87. She has severe Alzheimers (capitalized merely because it really is that big). I went to see her. Can you hear me scream from where you are? Here's the diff....Hospital...tucked in bed, warm and cozy, catheter in, a sitter who SITS by her side 24 hours a day, correct meds, healthy shakes and pureed food, fed while still hot (the food, not the shakes), the pillow between her legs - put there to keep her from crossing her legs...strapped on, sweet nurses, monitored, watched, cared for. Skilled nursing (with little skill or nursing).....no blanket pulled up, no diaper on, no one watching her, no rails on the bed, leg pillow tweaked, MAYBE they might be able to check on her once an hour but no guarantee, pureed food sitting there cold with no one to feed her. Clothes disheveled. Lortab extreme so at 72 hours she is half, no, one quarter as alert as she was an HOUR after the surgery. The doctor that released her unavailable. I've been on the phone for the last three hours trying to get her readmitted. But no one can do it. "She must have some type of medical reason" they all say. How about, well, maybe, what do you call it.... insufficient medical care!

Back to the wine....for those of you that didn't know, I used to own a wine store. I bought (cheap) several bottles that were pretty darn swanky. I have realized lately that it's really pointless to save things for a "special" occasion or the "right" time. So, I'm having a glass of special as we speak(write). Live. Now. Please.

2 comments:

hermitgirl said...

Damn that's awful. I feel helpless in the face of any kind of medical/paperwork stuff.
On a different note, I had some super expensive stationary that I saved for literally 10 years waiting for the "right" time to use it... finally realized that I should just use it!! Enjoy the wine. :)

followyourbliss said...

i opened that abundance pinot noir from namaste' vineyards the night after i bought it...not something i would normally do with a bottle pricier than i usually pay. yes, live now. all we have is now...