Thursday, July 19, 2007

What's fair is fair



I am going to enter a few photos in the county fair. Here's the funny part. To enter the pictures, one must take the pictures, enlarge them (no one wins with a 4 x 6), frame them, and then fill out paperwork. The enlarging runs a few bucks, the framing at least 20 dollars, even with 40% off at Michael's, and then the paperwork is, at best, a bit confusing (what category am I? what should I name this picture? should I use my real name?). Whew. This is all to win a ribbon. Yes, a ribbon. Isn't that silly?! And yet, I am so excited at the thought of winning a ribbon. Last year even before the OYOO, I entered three pictures. My son entered a picture and a sculpture. When we went to see the results of the judging, I prepared him with many important speeches about how not everyone wins and don't be disappointed when you lose. Well, you can imagine my chagrin when I was NOT chosen as any type of ribbon winner but his sculpture took a blue ribbon. And yes, I was a little disappointed, as I thought the fish picture was a shoe-in. And yes also, that blue ribbon with the shiny gold lettering tied to the top of Jay's wooden sculpture (Another Universe) was quite a beautiful thing.




I'm going to branch out this year, (hedging my bets, so to speak) and enter other categories, such as lettuce - check out the wheelbarrow lettuce garden - and I do have some nice banana peppers growing. Oh, and a great tomato plant called Mr. Stripey. I did not name it that, the tomatoes supposedly come in red with orange stripes. Photos of Mr. Stripey will be posted later in August to confirm.

No comments: