Monday, October 27, 2008

Day 10 (file under music)

Music is so cool and mysterious. I've been to a million concerts. I love radio play. I also love albums. I have a record player! One thing I've loved about the blog world and myspace is that I get introduced to new music. I now listen to Morphine, Interpol, Arcade Fire, and the American Analog Set. I'd never listened to those bands before. I also listen to music I was slightly familiar with but not so much, like Shawn Mullins. B and I went to his concert the other night and he was awesome.

When I was in eighth grade, I had six 45 rpm records that I played every night when I was going to sleep, Witchy Woman, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Love Will Keep us Together, Green-Eyed Lady, Bennie and the Jets, and Rock On. I did not live in a very musical house (it was Kansas and mt parents were older so I heard more talk radio and hog belly prices than anything else).

The first song I ever really loved was George Harrison's, My Sweet Lord. It was about the time of Concert for Bangladesh, and I was really young and I remember one of my babysitters taking me to a HEADSHOP, although I had no idea what that even was. There were beads hanging from doorways and incense burning and George was singing from the stereo. I'll never forget that. It made me FEEL something good. I was so young that I missed the fun of that whole decade, but I would have been there 100% had I been a few years older. Loved that song ever since.

Then, there was America; Sister Golden Hair, and then Fleetwood Mac. After high school, I started going to concerts with my girlfriends, driving from Topeka to Kansas City, telling my mom we were spending the night at a friend's house. Man, how in the world did we ever make it home some of those nights?! But music was always loud and always playing.

My music was never the same music my parents listened to, though. That's what I love about music now. Jay's first concert was when he was three and I took him to Jethro Tull (with ear plugs). Two years ago we saw Nickleback. When we turn on the radio, more times than not, we sing to the same songs. Music now is more a bonding experience than a dividing one, like it was with my parents. Thank god...Jay and are going to have enough to argue about.

1 comment:

Whispering Willow said...

You should check out this website Last.fm It is a great music site and essentially has online radio and it's really awesome. Even better you can download this program called SrobblePod and it will take tracks that you play in iTunes and update your profile on Last.fm so then you end up with friends who listen to similar music and basically it is a great way to find new music. I hope this comment makes sense...