Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 13 (file under BOO of course)

Jay and I carved pumpkins last night. My pumpkin is the same every year. Triangle eyes and nose, big honking grin. Jay drew his face on. He wanted scary eyes, scary nose, and scary mouth. I cut out the pieces. That big pumpkin was about four inches thick! Mine is already molding on the lid. I see those pumpkins that are works of art and I can tell you right now, that ain't me. I want it done. I love the rituals of life, I'm just busy. I also always roast pumpkin seeds. It sounds so good. I slather 'em in olive oil, salt them up real cook, and bake them for 45 minutes. They smell good. But they shred apart and stick in your teeth. It's kind of like eating sharp, brittle cardboard. Yuuummmmm. I'll have some more of that please. So, they usually sit in a Ziplock bag for a couple days, then I burn them on November first (Day of the Dead) in case my dad or mom wants to try them. My mom would never go for it, it would get so stuck in her dental work. She never would eat sesame seed buns because of that - seeds in the dentures. My dad would have a few, might even like them. So, along with a couple loaves of zucchini bread and some okra, I stick it all in the fire pit.

Tomorrow, a little history about Day of the Dead.

No comments: