Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 7 augh! (file under "The Dog Ate My Blog")

I took a mulligan. Or something like that. A mulligan, for you non-golfers, is when you flub a tee-off shot and take another one with no penalty. You're only allowed ONE per 18 holes of golf. Actually, among serious golfers, you don't even get one. BUT, I did completely forget about blog world yesterday, and since I committed to writing once a day for a month, I decided to just take a mulligan.

Today, I am here to talk to you about eggs and chickens. I have a friend who has chickens in her back yard (crazy), and there are things I'm curious about. I've been at her house when she gets the eggs and here's my question; how do those eggs get out of those chickens all dry and clean? I don't believe there is pathway out of the body, chicken or otherwise, that is actually dry and clean. But the eggs are so smooth and goop free. I just don't understand that. Another thing is that the eggs, once cracked, look different. The yolks are yellower. The shells are harder. Oh, and the colors are cool. The eggs are bluish-green, or shades of brown. No white ones. And they're so warm when you pull them out of the coop. The whole thing is such an amazing concept!! A tiny food factory on two spindly legs, producing this protein laden feast! Those chickens are cool too. Clucking about, scratching in the dirt, running wildly for no apparent reason. They peck at my ring or the grommets on my jeans. And, it does not hurt. Not to digress, but I used to have a fear of getting hit in the back of the head by a Frisbee (I went to a lot of concerts, and when I lived in California I spent time at the beach. Whatever.). Finally, in Santa Monica one day when Suzy and I were at the beach, it happened. A Frisbee comes flying through the air and beans me right on the back of the head. It didn't even hurt (hard head?). And all those years I'd been afraid of it...even dreaded it. It's like that with pecking chickens. It doesn't hurt at all.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. -- Albert Einstein

No comments: