Monday, February 2, 2009

It's not always a bad thing

The exquisiteness of avoidance. Ahhhhh. Woke up this morning and the Superbowl seemed so far away. Didn't read the paper. Didn't glance at the Yahoo news headlines. Didn't talk to Jay about football. Did not allow ESPN on the television. Perfect. The feeling of bile in the pit of my stomach had dissipated by this morning and I avoided anything that may have brought it back. By this evening the Superbowl really was far away. I looked at Yahoo news at 4:30 pm and the headline was about some stimulus package. The paper, unread, was in the recycle bin. When Jay mentioned the Superbowl, I asked him about his Science project. I'm all better now because of a simple, beautiful mental tool I call avoidance. And now, 24 hours later, I can truly say, It's only a football game.

1 comment:

Brook Ann ( the Great ) said...

I think it is beautiful that you can be that passionate about a footaball game, and also beautiful that you can let it go in one day. I mean I am starting to think that feeling passionately about things like football games is what gives life some spice and makes the mundande dailiness of life exciting. I applaud you for your passion, and also for your balance. Again, you are inspiring.