Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two

I don't have anything for yesterday. I kind of ran out of beautiful things. Yesterday was just a day. The thing is, I did look for beauty. I look every day now. It's a really good perspective. When I stood out in that parking lot that night (the 28th, I think) and looked at the sky, I realized that I'd forgotten to even look. Concentrating on it every day has been a blessing. It's THERE. Now I look all the time. And I FIND it all the time. So I did look yesterday. And there were good parts of the day. But I never decided to write about any one thing. So, there was no ONE thing that I felt inspired enough to write about.

Well, and then about 8:30 last night the battery in my computer died and I was too lazy to walk into the kitchen and get the cord and plug it in. I was too tired and warm to get out of bed.

Today, my beauty-full moment came when I was in kitchen making dinner. I was fixing home-made tacos; ground beef, refries, cheese, tomatoes, etc and you just take your plate and make your own. I was by myself and I looked out the window over the sink. There in the east was another perfect sky. The color of the inside of a watermelon, right near the rind. Kind of pinky/icy/taupe. The rest of the sky was bluer, kind of wispy and empty. It was a strangely lonely moment. One of those where you know that the world outside yourself is huge, and yet the world inside yourself might even be bigger, and that you'll probably never know either of them as well as you'd like to.

It's been a long time since I've closed my blog with a quote or two (These are quotes I aspire to, and also find lovely and balancing).....


To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
Buddha

When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing
well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with
our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like
the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is
my experience. No blame, no reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you
understand, you can love, and the situation will change.
--Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese Zen Master

No comments: