Sunday, August 9, 2009

Movie Review Day

Just watched a documentary called Young at Heart. It was a Sundance 2008 winner. Read about it. You'll want to watch it.

Young@Heart
Directed by Stephen Walker
Starring the Young@Heart Chorus, Bob Climan

It's been a long time since Fox Seachlight has released a documentary, but knowing their proclivity for music and popular crowd-pleasing fare, this one is right up their alley, looking at the Young@Heart Chorus, a group of elderly 70 and 80 somethings from Northhampton, Mass. who get together to create their own versions of alternative rock and punk songs. As it opens with their rendition of The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" you might assume this is going to be a novelty film or one that derives its laughs from watching old people singing unlikely music. In fact, this is a satisfying and touching film about the trials and tribulations faced by the group and its excitable taskmaster Bob Climan, as we watch him try to prepare the group to learn new material for their upcoming season. A fan of hip rock bands like the Talking Heads, Climan tries to find songs that the group can put their own unique spin on, and hopefully, that they can relate to, but the group's reaction to his introduction of Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia" is absolutely priceless. Watching them try to learn standards like James Brown's "I Feel Good" is equally amusing.

Rather than just filming rehearsals and showing how the songs progress (or in some cases, digress), Stephen Walker talks to individual members and spends time with them away from rehearsals to allow the viewer to get a true feeling for the infectious spirit and personalities of these amazing people. It doesn't shy away from the sad fact that when people are that old, they might suffer from health problems, which becomes clearer when two of the group's beloved members suddenly pass away, making the group's version of Coldplay's "Fix You" even more emotional as the ballad is given new meaning in the hands of the elderly singers. If watching them perform this doesn't have you close to tears, then you are indeed a cool customer, but seeing a group of prison inmates watching the group's poignant performance of "Forever Young" and seeing not a dry eye in the house makes you realize that it's okay to let the emotion of this film wash over you.

Not just a movie for older people but one for those who have elderly parents or grandparents, this entertaining and often moving documentary captures a moment in time in the lives of these amazing older people, something that should help even the youngest of viewer get in touch with their own mortality and make it clear that life doesn't have to end at 60."


We also WENT to a movie called Funny People and it was hysterical. It was most definitely R rated. Adam Sandler can be good when he does more than just the slapstick funnyguy thing and he had some serious moments that were really excellent. And still, it was a bit raunchy and VERY funny. I LOVE movies. When I had my glorious One Year of Opus (see my third post, July 2007), I had "make a documentary" on my list and I never did it. I'm a failure. JUST KIDDING. I am not a failure, I just have not done it yet. When I watch documentaries I get so inspired, then I go work at Starbucks. AUUGGGGHHHHH. I have a desire to be more than I am. Does everyone have that desire? I get a little crazy and want to quit my job and go to film school. And the deficit/asset about me is that I might do it.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would
hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left
and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
--Erma Bombeck

No comments: