Saturday, August 22, 2009

Where am I?!

So anyway, this is my day so far.......I wake up and I'm in L.A. at that nice little park off Sunset Blvd. I've been sleeping on a bench and there are children playing near by. I sit up and look around. I think I've been wearing the same clothes for a few days. The grass is a brilliant green and the sky is it's normal soft brown color. It's a beautiful day but I have no recollection of why or how I ended up in California on a park bench a mile from Beverly Hills. Was I abducted? Am I on a reality show? Am I dreaming I was abducted and put on a reality show? Did I eat too much chocolate and am suffering from extreme chocolate induced amnesia (this has actually happened to me several times)? Despite all these things going on, the only thing I can think about is...I DIDN'T BLOG FOR FOUR FREAKING DAYS. HOLY CRAP. Hahahaha. Not really. I'm still in Flagstaff.

I have no excuse. I just didn't FEEL like writing. Although for some reason I have thought about that little park a few times lately so I thought I'd work it in. I was quite fond of that small triangle of grass with the tiny playground nestled among all the Porsche's and Ferrari's. It was a good place to read a book, and of course, daydream that Johnny Depp (from 21 Jump Street fame) would walk up and ask me out to dinner. There are definitely a few things I miss about L.A., although It's been years since I lived there. I miss that house down by that park that looked like it was made out of white frosting. It had blue mosaic inlaid all over the place and there were swirls of very smooth stucco (I think) all over. I miss the beach when it rained, and Gladstones 4 Fish, which is still one of my favorite restaurants. Suzy and I would get there in the late afternoon and wait for a booth by the window and we would just look out at the ocean and watch the sun go down and we really felt like movie stars......plus, best clam chowder EVER MADE. I miss driving in L.A., through Laurel Canyon and over from the valley into Malibu. The pier was fun and interesting, and of course Venice Beach was a wacky destination if we only went there once a month. The L.A. Co. Art Museum was great. And, I could find any kind of food ANY TIME AT ALL. There are many things I wasn't wild about too, but that's another post. There are good reason why I'm here and not there. But my utopia is a conglomeration of all the places I've lived, and L.A. had some coolness I miss.

I start teaching school Monday. I like having poetry in my head. I like words. One poetry class and one English 100. The great thing about 100 is that we concentrate on perfect sentences more than perfect essays. It's so much easier to write an awesome sentence than an awesome essay. And since I'm a low achiever I have no problem being completely satisfied by that.

Starbucks chat........Now, you might not think It's a big deal to go through the drive through and order a Grande Mocha With An Extra Shot, and then when you get to the window and they hand you your drink, say, OMG, I MEANT TO ORDER AN ICED DRINK. You might think that you're the only one who has done this. This crazy act of forgetting it's HOT outside and you wanted iced and not steaming. You might even think it's as simple as pouring the hot drink over ice (Really? Could you really think that?). But it's not that simple. And you are not the only one who has committed this HEINOUS COFFEE DRINK ERROR. At least ten people before you and ten people after you have or will do this. Here's the solution! Just take the damn drink, go home, stick it in the fridge and in an hour, pour it over ice. There. If you don't order your drink right, just take some personal responsibility and buck up. Maybe you will learn to order the drink you want. Thank you.

I'm writing a book. That's all I have to say about THAT. I will never speak of it again until it becomes available at your local bookstore.

Perhaps no person can be a poet, or can even enjoy poetry,
without a certain unsoundness of mind.
--Thomas Babington Macauley (1800-1859) English politician

No comments: