Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Part II

Jill is still on vacation. Today is the second half of "favorite quotes." Enjoy.

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


in dwelling, live close to the ground.
in thinking, keep to the simple.
in conflict, be fair and generous.
in governing, don_t try to control.
in work, do what you enjoy.
in family life, be completely present.- Tao Te Ching

If you want to change some things in your life, you have to change some things in your life. This is because if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten - unknown

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

The three grand essentials of happiness are: Something to do, Someone to love, and Something to hope for - Alexander Chalmers

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
--Anne Sexton

Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge.
It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came,
and he pushed...... and they flew.
-- Christopher Logue

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about
to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle
in the way, something to be gotten through first, some
unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to
be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me
that these obstacles were my life.
-- Alfred D. Souza

Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or
polishes us up depends on us.
--Thomas L. Holdcroft

What will you do with your one wild and precious life?
--Mary Oliver

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in=
his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
--Author Unknown

"Happiness depends upon ourselves."
Aristotle

"It's not having been in the dark house, but having left it that
counts."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Keep on sowing your seeds, for you never know which will grow -
perhaps it all will."
Ecclesiastes, 11:6

"Question: What do you see yourself doing five years from now? Answer:
I have no idea. I've never had a career plan and never will. I just
always make sure that I'm doing something I love at the moment, and I find
out where it takes me. I float downriver, then I wake up and say, 'Oh,
here I am. I've had a swell float.'"
Diane Sawyer, interviewed in US Magazine, September 1997

"Earth's crammed with Heaven."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
From Chapter 8, Giving

Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things
seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see
possibilities - always see them, for they're always there.
--Norman Vincent Peale

Perhaps the secret of living well is not in having all the
answers but in pursuing unanswerable questions in
good company.
--Rachel Naomi Remen

"I imagine that yes is the only living thing."
e.e. cummings

No comments: