Friday, November 14, 2008

# 28...file under writing assignment

I think all y'all need to write a sonnet.

Here's the info and rules. When the letters, such as (A, or (E, at the end of a line are the same, that means the last word in those lines rhyme. You're just going to have to wing it a bit. Come on. Do it. I've even provided a few examples I wrote...

Bird Sonnet


You hold the still warm body of the quail (A
in one hand, its feathers rustle in the wind, (B
(now, in death, a speckled bag of bone and tail) (A
and with a knife in your other hand, tend (B
to the legs, snapping them off at the joint (C
then do the same with each soft wing, breaking (D
off that delicate flat plate of flight at the point (C
of attachment. Then with the knife, making (D
one long slit from end to end, you tug and pull (E
the tight costume of skin and plume away (F
from what it held inside. Scoop the gullet, full (E
of seeds, remove the bile and liver, rinse, then lay (F
the knife aside and feel the rising heat (G
as it roasts over flame, then eat the tender meat (G

Tucson Sonnet

I bought two pair of shoes on the way back (A
from your place. I felt seasoned and raw, tight (B
like a piece of meat all tough and sinew white. (B
I blew by the outlet mall on that racetrack (A
of a highway and thought about the awful lack (A
of shoes in my closet and lost sight (B
of you, of time and money, lost even the right (B
reasoning of my mother’s voice saying, “crack (A

those lousy credit cards in half.” Later, then, (C
the shoes tucked in the trunk, blasting through the heat (D
of the desert, I watched tire after tire shed (E
its rubber onto the road like sunburnt skin. (C
Blowout after blowout as two hot things meet, (D
exploding at the touch, and you, back in my head. (E

Job Interview Sonnet

Okay, here’s me a couple years ago. (A
“I’d like a job doing something for (B
a worthwhile cause, the health department or (B
maybe at the library. I don’t know (A
if I have the skills for anything (C
actually. Could I get the job where (D
I enter hand made blankets at the fair? (D
I would sit at home and sew and sing (C
and take time out on Tuesdays to make (E
peanut butter cookies. I would also call (F
the job of gathering eggs from a small (F
hen house in the country one I would take (E

in a second. Or anything where I (G
end up wading in tide pools.....” Oh, they sigh. (G


Things to remember...
14 lines
rhyme scheme
Go with that for now.

Just do it.

3 comments:

Whispering Willow said...

Here is my Sonnet:

Tech Junkies

"It is comfortable in here right now, though
for some reason my face is hot," you say.
I laugh and yell, "Hotface!" Because today
the upper-hand belongs to me, like the time you
cottoned on to my comment about "hot socks"
and started calling me that as a nick-name.
I think we were piled on the living room couch, game
night underway on your big screen t.v. that rocks
the socks off the UPS dude when he comes
to the door with another package of gadgets and what
nots for you. All of us are a bunch of tech junkies cut
down to apartment living, unwilling to save for a home.

At least we waste our money on something
tangible and fun, not... lamp shades - that's boring.

Whispering Willow said...

Sorry some of the lines went over so it looks funky. How annoying.

jill or jay said...

w.w. - I LOVE that you wrote a sonnet. You might win the prize! And I totally got the rhyme scheme!