Sunday, November 2, 2008

day 16 (file under do it)

Time is passing. This thought occurs to me on a regular basis. It's the thought that made me start this blog. And that thought seems to be a permanent neon light in my foggier-by-the-day brain. Jay and a couple of his buddies went trick or treating Friday night. By themselves. It was the first year I didn't go. They headed out into the dark night, dressed in black with frightful masks and weapons of torture. Time is passing. Pretty soon, they'll be going to parties on Halloween, having a beer, taking a girl to a scary movie. I saw all those cute little fairies and princesses out there, all those Elmos and tiny Ironmen and wanted, for just a minute, Jay to be THERE again.


Time. Is. Passing. For instance, here's me and my dad, BBQing some years back. Check out that BBQ. Check out my dad's socks. I can still remember that driveway. We moved from that house when I was three, but I still can see the living room, where I used to watch Loony Tunes while my mom ironed clothes, and the back yard where I got in trouble once for peeling a hard boiled egg on the back steps. It's goofy what we remember. So much time has passed, and really, it's the blink of an eye.

So, let me just be a little reminder, Time is passing, do some of the things you've always wanted to do. Because it will pass no matter what you do, so do what you can to make your dreams real. Take life a little less seriously. Have babies so you can dress them up silly when they're three and take them trick or treating. Open your own business because you've always wanted to make candles shaped like sporting equipment. Take the Amtrak to Chicago because you read about a great art exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago.

Or maybe just one time, get the frappicino instead of the plain coffee. With an extra shot of espresso.

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have
and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful
lest you let other people spend it for you.
--Carl Sandburg

No comments: