Thursday, May 6, 2010

Almost Friday


I love this warmer weather. It's springtime and we have a nest of baby birds in the back yard. How cliche and yet how lovely. They are nesting in the top of a propane tank covered by a round pink paver. We had no idea the nest was in there until B was getting ready to fire a kiln and when he lifted the paver up, the mama bird flew out and scared the bejesus out of us. We put the paver back on and only peek at them once a week. They're so ugly and so cute.

Tonight was Jay's school musical program. It's the last one where we'll be with the tiny kindergartners and all the chaotic, screaming kids. I'm going to miss those musical shows. Talk about baby birds! I love to look at the ankle-biters up there on the stage, knowing that a few are going to be huge successes and a few are going to be tremendous failures but most of them are going to be average, content human beings. I like that thought; average content people playing Monopoly and having BBQ's, watching a little Law and Order and reading a good book now and then. Of course, some people really do become ballarinas and firemen but I'd love to hear a seven year old say, "I want to be an average person when I grow up with a job that pays decent and has health benefits. Eat dinner with my family, teach my kids how to do cool card tricks and once a week sit at Barne's and Noble for an hour for a little "me" time." When I was little I wanted to be either a witch or a loan shark. Weird. I did not become either of those things. That's okay. I also, when asked who I would like to meet if I could meet anyone, said "Paul Lynde" while almost every other third grader in my class replied, "The President."

Mother's Day weekend plans - Ironman on Saturday. Working on shed and backyard. Storage unit auction Sunday morning. Wildflower Bread Company for lunch. Suns game Sunday night. Sweeeeet.

No comments: