Saturday, May 8, 2010

Telescopes and Dinner

I love weekends. This morning B headed out to a garage sale across town to look at a clarinet stand (He is teaching himself to play and has "When the Saints Go Marching In" and "When I'm 64" almost mastered). I had coffee and then Jay and I went to a couple garage sales in the neighborhood. On the way back to the house we stopped at one last sale and found a cool telescope. Bought it. When we got back to the house, B was in the back yard working on the shed and I ran out and said, "I bought a really cool telescope!" and B looked at me kind of odd and said"I did too." Turns out the only thing each of us bought was a telescope for Jay. Hahaha. Now he has two. At least until we have our garage sale.

We saw Ironman 2. It was GREAT! I LOVE Robert Downey Jr. but I do have to wonder how many middle aged guys go by Jr? That's a little goofy. I discovered the secret to not eating a lot of movie food at the movies. Go see the 10:30 A.M. movie. I had just had breakfast and was so uninterested in popcorn.

Speaking of food, I made a good dinner. I'm trying really hard to eat healthy. I was on a pastry binge at Starbucks for awhile there and I need to turn it around. Last week I did keep my vow of ingesting NOTHING that I had to chew while at work. That was a good boundary as it's so cut and dried - COULD NOT CHEW. Period. It worked. I did have several fruit/protein smoothies which were good. So, tonight I made saffron quinoa (keen-waaa) with Fresh asparagus and baby portebellos. It was yummy and quick and very healthy. Make it!

Bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil. Add a pinch of saffron. Cover and simmer until water is gone, about 15 minutes. In a separate pan, saute one cup baby portebello mushrooms and one bunch asparagus (cut into 1 inch pieces) in olive oil and a hearty splash of teriaki or Worcestershire sauce. When the quinoa is done, turn off heat and add the vegetables to the quinoa. Stir it up and it's done. I would recommend a glass of Red Truck California Red Wine which costs about 8.00 and is well worth the price.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Do not chew. Gawd you crack me up. I'm stealing that idea, btw.