Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Mom.....


I entered some contest about "my mom is the best mom because...." I did not win, although I think I should have. Not only was my mom the best, but my entry was the best. Hahaha. I hope we all believe our own mom was the best mom. Happy mother's Day to all you moms and moms-to-be out there. Here is my entry.....

She had the best smile. She always had my back. She would push the hair away from my face very nicely, even when she said, "Aren't you ever going to do anything with your hair?" She would pick me up from school when I was in the sixth grade and take me to lunch every other Friday and we would get 13 cent hamburgers from Bike's Burger Bar. She bought me a Mr Peanut Peanut Butter Maker once. She was the best mom because she always knew how to have fun. Sometimes she would laugh until tears rolled down her cheeks. She was patient and kind. She would take me along with her when she would do volunteer work in the hopes that I would learn to see outside myself. She would stand on the front porch and watch tornadoes roll in when my dad and I would hide in the basement. She was strong but she was loving. My mom was the best because, even when she had Alzheimers and couldn't remember my name, she still knew that she loved me when I walked in the door. When I was in Girl Scouts she was the Scout Leader, and she never let me earn the badges without hard work. She made the best fried chicken and mashed potatoes. One time when I was six and in the dentist's office, the dentist told me to "Stop crying damnit" when he poked my tongue, and my mom flew into the examination room and said "Don't you ever talk to my daughter that way again." My mom made sure I said my pleases and thank-you's. She made it through a tough childhood without becoming bitter or hardened. My mom was the best mom because she kept hope and happiness and love in her heart and in her life and mostly, in her family.

1 comment:

Q said...

Barry called which reminded me I needed to catch up. THIS...

"My mom was the best because, even when she had Alzheimers and couldn't remember my name, she still knew that she loved me when I walked in the door."

...is about the best description of a mother's love I ever heard...wow. I miss my mom.