Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Take That Pill Before I Pinch You!

I am a mom. Jay and I relived the "pill" fiasco of last night tonight. He did better however, and I think it was the chocolate milk I bought today. But the whole experience made me think about all the aspects of being a mom. It's not Mother's Day yet but I saw a quote that I wanted to share...and I have a funny (to me) story of my own.

"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." - Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons

First, how can two people be quoted as one quote? Did they think this up at the same time? Did one come up with the first sentence and the other came up with the last? Just curious.

So, when Jay was about ten months old we went to Las Vegas with my family. There were probably 7 of us and we had two adjoining rooms. One night it must have been 3:00 a.m. and Jay started to cry. I got up and took him in the bathroom. I had probably only been asleep for an hour or two (don't worry, my mom LOVED to hang in the room with her little Jay while I played roulette). I had not been drinking because I hate to taint my gambling with alcohol. Hahahaha. No, really, I don't drink when I gamble - throws my luck. So, I stood in the bathroom rocking Jay back and forth. For fifteen minutes. Then half an hour. Then an hour that turned into an hour and a half. I was TIRED. I just wanted him to sleep! I was tired and cramped and didn't have his usual "stuff" with me. No crib, no couch. I became irrational there in that small, dark bathroom. I wanted to pinch him. Real hard. Just a tiny piece of skin. Pinch! Like that.

I did not pinch my little baby boy. But I thought about it for the next half hour until he finally slept. I always laugh about it. It actually kept me sane. And, as I tell people, that's the difference between being a good mom and a scary one.....we all think about duct taping them to the wall, the good moms just make the decision NOT to do it. I always want to tell new mothers that, yes, they will drive you crazy and talk back and crush you at times, just make the right decision. Because they will be worth the kindness and the love in the end. Oh, and anything you do before they turn two....they'll never remember it anyway. Hahahaha.

(That last sentence is one of those things that you write and think, okay, of course no one will think I'm serious. I'm funny! And then you worry a little and finally come back and, even though you don't erase it, you feel compelled to write a disclaimer.)

Disclaimer: Folks, I am only kidding. Do not harm your child. Call a hotline if you feel violent. They really, really are worth the love. And they WILL remember everything. Thank you.

(I just served as awesome birth control for at least several college women)

No comments: