Monday, May 3, 2010

Onward

I was on bereavement leave. I'm not going to shirk my blog commitment however, so the "30 days of MEEEE" will continue on for twenty-one more days.

Here's what we used to do.......See, Barney was mostly an indoor cat, but once or twice a day he would meander about outside. He did not like to use Stan's dog door so when B would let him back in, B would announce, "Hey everybody, it's Barney!! Look! Barney's here!!" And we would all clap and cheer. "Look, it's Barney!!!" And Barney would get a celebrity welcome every time he came back inside. Barney himself did not understand the hullabaloo, but that was part of the fun. That's one of those things I'm going to miss. It's one of those little private "in-house" things that we all have in our homes. It was a good thing.

It's those private "in-house" moments that are the barometers of our lives I think. We all have those things that go on where we live that we don't share with the rest of the world. Maybe it's with roommates or maybe with our birth family or maybe with our spouse/partner (I am so fucking politically correct!). But I like when I'm in households where those moments are good ones. I've had times when they were positive and times when they were yucky and I notice that my whole psyche could be determined by whether those times were good or bad. Remember...if your "in-house" moments make you sad, rethink the "house" in your "in-house" situation.

I have a garden box. B has been working like crazy in the back yard; putting together raised garden beds and building a new chicken coop. I get to plant vegetables this weekend, and surround them with the beautiful "walls of water" aka "wall-o-waters" to keep then from FREEZING IN THE SNOW. Hahahaha. Why do I laugh at that when we had an inch of snow yesterday?

Right this instant, while I sit at the dining room table blogging away, my son is 15 feet away from me in the kitchen trying to swallow a pill. He woke up with a sore throat and body ache. I took him in and the doctor gave him some antibiotics. "I want the pills, not the liquid," he insisted as we left. "I can swallow pills now." So, for 25 minutes he's been trying to swallow a pill. He has tried orange juice, milk and water. He has hidden the pill in ice cream and yogurt. He has choked a mouthful of milk all over the kitchen floor (which, had I read that on someone else's blog, I would have laughed like a crazy woman, however, since it was in my kitchen I don't really find it that funny). He has placed it strategically in several areas of his mouth before ingesting the liquid. He is now taking a three minute break to check on the Sun's score. But he is going to swallow that pill before I go to bed.

Oh yeah, B and I saw Kick Ass yesterday. Great movie. Not for kids. Funny. Fun. See it.

Randoming - I still love Barney. I can whistle really loud with two fingers in my mouth. I always trim my own bangs and I ALWAYS do a horrible job. I really love my home.

P.S. He did it. He swallowed that damn pill.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give
other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated
from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
--Marianne Williamson

3 comments:

said...

Have been meaning to leave a comment... I'm so sorry to hear about Barney! Condolences. He lived a long and good life though!

With the nice weather the neighborhood cats have been on my doorstep every night... I think they hear the music coming out the screen door. It's tempting to feed them but I'm trying to refrain!

jill or jay said...

Thank you Tyge. I think it might be time to let one of those cats adopt you!

Anonymous said...

The whole pill thing makes me laugh!! I have always had trouble swallowing pills ( maybe it is genetic ) Then when I thought i had overcome it.. I got that Tylonal pm Stuck!!